The Oconee County School System promotes the health, safety and well being of all students by providing each school with a school nurse on a daily basis. We have a staff of 10 nurses dedicated to the mission statement:
“Children must be Healthy to Learn and Learn to be Healthy”
The definition of school nursing adopted by the Board of the National Association of School Nurses is:
“School nursing is a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well being, academic success and lifelong achievement of students. To that end, school nurses facilitate positive student response to normal development; promote health and safety; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self management, self advocacy, and learning.”
Services provided by the school nurses include:
- Promotion of healthy life styles.
- Health care counseling or guidance to students, their family, and to staff.
- Identify health concerns by observation and assessment of needs, and provide appropriate care.
- Medication management.
- Immunization verification according to state law.
- Screenings: vision, hearing, dental, blood pressure, scoliosis.
- The School Nurse team is available to all students, their families and staff to discuss any questions or concerns.
Faye Warden RN
North Oconee High School
Deena Futris RN
Oconee County High School
Casey Haley RN
Malcom Bridge Middle School
Tisha Thompson LPN
Oconee County Middle School
Ivy Willoughby RN
Colham Ferry Elementary School
Cheryl Moore RN
High Shoals Elementary School
Leslie Howell RN
Malcom Bridge Elementary School
Heather Brewington RN
Oconee County Elementary School
Jill Whitesell RN
Oconee County Primary School
Ashley Orrell RN
Rocky Branch Elementary School