What is the Parent Teacher Organization?
The objectives of the PTO are promoted through a volunteer program directed towards parents, teachers, and the community, and are developed through committees, projects, fundraisers and other programs. The primary purpose of the PTO is to promote a closer relationship between the home and the school, allowing parents and teachers to cooperate in the education of their children; to develop between educators and the community coordinated efforts to secure for all children, the greatest opportunities for physical, mental and social achievement; and to raise funds for the purpose of enhancing the educational experience of all students. In the past, we have successfully exceeded our goals through activities such as our annual Boosterthon Fun Run, which serves as our primary fundraiser and source of income, as well as our membership drive. The support we receive through these efforts have allowed us to purchase needed technology resources and supplemental instructional materials, support our amazing Art, Music and P.E. (AMP) programs, maintain our playgrounds, assist with vision and hearing screenings, provide an annual yearbook, properly thank our staff through staff appreciation efforts, and support other needed improvements in the school. These are just some of the many ways the OCES PTO benefits Oconee County Elementary School and each and every student.
How do I join?There are many ways to join the PTO:
1. Visit the PTO table at Meet the Teacher.
2. Visit the PTO table at Open House.
3. Complete the membership form sent home in your child's Friday folder and send it back to the school with your student! You can also access the Membership Form in the PTO section of the OCES Website.
5. Attend monthly PTO Meetings and complete the membership form while there!
You can join PTO at any time throughout the school year!
How can support the PTO?
There are many ways in which you can support the PTO. First by volunteering; help on a committee or during a particular event. The amount of time you spend, no matter how little, will be valued by the PTO, school and your child. Secondly, participate and encourage other OCES families and community members to participate in our fundraising efforts.
You may also help OCES by your everyday shopping. Use your Publix and Kroger cards at checkout. A percentage goes directly to the school. And while you are shopping, look for the box top labels on various General Mills products. We receive 10 cents for each box top we turn in.How will I find out about PTO events?
What are some of the PTO committees?
- PTO Meetings: All are invited to monthly PTO meetings held the last Monday of each month at 10:30 a.m. at OCES. During these meetings, we plan events, hear reports from all committees, discuss budget and funding, and much more.
- Facebook and Twitter: Be sure to follow OCES on Facebook and Twitter! The PTO communicates regularly regarding all events and activities through these outlets.
- PTO Flyers will be sent home in advance of all activities and events.
- PTO Bulletin Board located in the main entrance of the school.
- PTO Emails and Phone Call Out Messages will be distributed as reminders for all activities and events.
- At any time, you can contact the PTO President, any Board Member or Chair for information.
Membership: Encourages all OCES families to join and actively participate in all PTO initiatives!
Staff Appreciation: Leads the way in coordinating activities to honor and thank all OCES staff members, through events such as staff appreciation luncheons, staff appreciation week, etc.!
Book Fair: Great opportunity for us to give our students opportunities to enhance their love of reading, while raising money to support our Media Center and School!
Yearbook: Works hard throughout the year to capture the exciting things happening at OCES and compiles all those memories into our annual Year Book publication!
Box Tops: Encourages all families to snip and send in Box Tops to raise money to support our amazing Art, Music and P.E. Programs! For each Box Tops we get 10 cents!