Phone: 706.769.7791 X1133
Degrees and Certifications:
Laurie Lewis, RN, BSN
Welcome to Oconee County Elementary School! My goal is to provide a healthy and safe environment for our students and staff. I feel it is my privilege to care for your kids while they are here at school. I want to keep our Chiefs healthy and in school!
I have been the school nurse at OCES since 2019. My husband, a teacher in the OCS System, and I have lived in Oconee County since 2009. Our two children currently attend Oconee County Schools. I have over 25 years experience in nursing, with a background in Cardiology, Nursing Education and Outpatient Nursing.
Here are a few guidelines that I would like everyone to be aware of:
- Make sure your child gets a consistent night’s sleep and eats a healthy breakfast every morning.
- If your child has a temperature greater than 100.3, please keep them home until they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of medication.
- If your child presents to the clinic with vomiting/diarrhea, persistent abdominal pain, sore throat and or new persistent/uncontrolled cough (for students with chronic allergic/asthmatic history, a change from their baseline), I will call you to discuss the potential need for pickup. Please plan to keep your children home until they are symptom-free for 24 hours.
- Any student sent home from the clinic is excused from school in accordance with existing OCS illness management policies..
- If you have found, and/or treated for, lice in your child’s hair, please notify me. I want to discreetly, but aggressively, protect children and classrooms from repeated occurrences.
- Elementary students may not carry/bring medication into school. Parents must drop off medication(s) with the school clinic and complete proper documentation for administration.
- Medication administration in school is discouraged unless deemed medically necessary for the student’s health, safety, and optimal learning. Whenever possible, medications should be given at home, before, or after school.
- If your child must have medication of any type at school, including over the counter or prescription medications, an “Administration of Medication” or “Self-Administration” form must be obtained and returned to the clinic.
- Please update the Nurse with any major changes in your child’s health, especially those things that could impact them while at school.
Please feel free to contact me at any time with general questions or health concerns.
My office number is 706-769-7791x 1133
Phone Numbers and Emergency Contacts:
In order to facilitate reaching parents/guardians of sick children, please remember to update emergency information in Infinite Campus with any change in home, work, and cell phone numbers Please ensure an emergency contact name and phone number of a friend and/or relative has been provided that can be called if you are not available. If you are going out of town, please send a note to school specifying who can be contacted for your children during your absence.