MBMS named Distinguished Breakout School
Malcom Bridge Middle School has been designated a 2018-19 Distinguished Breakout School by the Georgia Association of Secondary School Principals (GASSP). The school is one of only seven in Georgia chosen as a Breakout School and one of only four chosen as a Distinghished Breakout School. This state honor recognizes middle schools that are high-achieving or dramatically improving school performance.
“Thank you to our students, teachers, parents, and staff who work together to make Malcom Bridge Middle School such a special place,” said Principal Meri Blackburn. “This recognition is a whole school community accomplishment, and we are extremely proud of the work we are doing!”
Schools are selected based on documented success in implementing strategies aligned with three specific areas – collaborative leadership; personalization; and curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
Malcom Bridge Middle received the award, in large part, due to excellence in the following:
- The percentage of students achieving at the proficient and above levels on state Milestones has increased in all grades in math and English/language arts since 2016.
- The percentage of students passing Milestones testing far exceeds state averages, with the highest being 7th grade math at 98%.
- The school established a Teachers as Advisors program to promote character education and school culture, as well as to implement STEAM initiatives through project-based learning.
- Leadership is shared, with targeted professional learning and a variety of opportunities for teachers to serve as leaders in areas in which they are passionate.
- Students have a variety of ways to assume school leadership roles – with some examples being through student council, Career and Technical Student Organizations, and Student Leadership Academy.
- Malcom Bridge Middle places a focus on service-learning and has dedicated days each school year for students to volunteer with eight local organizations, as well as at the school itself and Malcom Bridge Elementary.
- The school utilizes PBIS – Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports – to promote a positive school culture and reinforce positive behavior.
- Grade-level and vertical-team meetings take place to foster a culture of utilizing best instructional practices.
- College and career-planning are purposeful, and students engage in career connections courses and several counselor-led guidance sessions.
“I wish to extend my sincere congratulations to the entire Malcom Bridge Middle School community on being designated a Breakout School,” said Superintendent Jason Branch. “The teachers, parents, students, and MBMS community demonstrate the sustained excellence of which we are so proud in Oconee County. From academic success to service-learning to shared leadership, MBMS is most deserving of this honor.”
Malcom Bridge Middle School will be recognized at the GASSP fall conference Nov. 10-12 in Savannah for this prestigious honor.