OCS ranked #1 school system in GA
Oconee County Schools’ Milestones, End of Grade, and End of Course assessment results have placed OCS as the #1 school system in the state of Georgia. On each of the 23 assessments for the 2018-19 school year, OCS had an average well above that of the state of Georgia.
"In Oconee County Schools, we have a systemwide commitment to student success, and these scores are reflective of the excellent work happening in our classrooms each and every day," said Superintendent Jason Branch. "Our world-class teachers bring not only their content and teaching expertise into our classrooms; they also provide engaging, nurturing learning environments. Our students work incredibly hard and are supported by the best administrators and support staff in the state, as well as our most important partners: their parents.”
Georgia law requires a comprehensive summative assessment program in grades 3-12, including End of Grade assessments in English/Language Arts and Mathematics for grades 3-8 and End of Course assessments in designated core subjects for grades 9-12.
Said Dr. Branch, “I also want to thank our Board Members for their strong leadership and support of the district's strategic plan, which drives decision-making. We are indeed very fortunate to live, work, and learn in a community that provides such incredible support to our schools."
Some of the highlights from the data released from the Georgia Department of Education are below:
- Of the 23 assessments given, the OCS average was in the top 10 out of all districts in the state on 20.
- In grades 3-8, over 83% of students had Lexile scores at or above grade level. Specifically: 3rd grade at 90%, 4th grade at 86%, 5th grade at 88%, 6th grade at 83%, 7th grade at 89%, and 8th grade at 86%.
- OCS was the #1 district in the state on the following assessments: 4th grade English/Language Arts and Algebra I.
- OCS was the #2 district in the state on the following assessments: 5th grade English/Language Arts, 6th grade English/Language Arts, 6th grade Math, 5th grade Social Studies, Geometry, Economics, and U.S. History.
- OCS was the #3 district in the state on the following assessments: 4th grade Math and 8th grade Social Studies.
- Of the 23 assessments given, the overall OCS average was higher in 2019 than in 2018 on the majority of the assessments.
To see the complete data, with OCS data from 2017, 2018, and 2019; Georgia 2019 data; and the OCS ranking out of all districts in the state on each assessment, please visit www.oconeeschools.org/MilestonesData2019.