Board Of Education Approves Tentative FY 24 Budget
WATKINSVILLE, Ga. — The Oconee County Board of Education gave tentative approval to the fiscal year 2024 budget of $105,970,180 at the regular session on May 8, 2023. The budget includes a tentatively adopted total millage rate of 15.5 mills, the same rate adopted in fiscal year 2023.
“The Board is pleased to approve a tentative budget that prioritizes people and maintains fiscal responsibility for Oconee County Schools,” Board Chair Kim Argo said. “We are pleased to be in a position to recognize our staff for their efforts with no increase in the millage rate. Each component of this budget will help meet and exceed the high standards for which our schools are known.”
Key inclusions in the tentative budget are:
• Health insurance employer contribution increase ($5,000,000)
• Five percent salary improvements ($3,675,000)
• Twenty-four new growth positions ($2,272,000)
• Dove Creek Middle School staffing ($1,750,000)
• Step increases for all eligible staff ($785,000)
• Academic and coaching supplement increases ($326,000)
• Funds for the Oconee County Sheriff's Department to provide traffic control at schools ($169,000)
• Salary adjustments for paraprofessionals ($120,000)
• Technology improvements ($107,000)
• A $2,000 supplement for special education paraprofessionals ($58,000)
“This budget reflects Oconee County Schools’ sound financial planning,” Superintendent Jason L. Branch said. “OCS remains committed to balancing fiscal responsibility and high student achievement. We are proud to provide a world-class education to our students while meeting the demands of a growing community.”
The budget consists of 72 percent for direct instruction, 22 percent for support services, and six percent for instructional support. The budget will be financed primarily by state and local revenue.
Budget hearings will be held on May 17 and 22, both at 4 p.m., at the OCS Central Office, located at 34 School Street in Watkinsville. All county citizens are invited to attend. The Board is scheduled to give final approval to the proposed tentative budget at its June 5 meeting.