Return to Headlines

Oconee County BOE Approves FY25 Budget

June 11, 2024


FY2025 Final Budget


WATKINSVILLE, Ga. — Four percent salary improvements for all employees and the addition of step increases for those with 22 to 30 years of service highlight the Fiscal Year 2025 budget approved Monday by the Oconee County Board of Education.


The Board of Education on Monday unanimously approved the budget of $114,890,755, with 90 percent designated for salaries and benefits and the remaining 10 percent allocated to daily operations.


“The Oconee County Board of Education is proud to approve the Fiscal Year 2025 budget, which reflects our steadfast commitment to investing in our educators and staff,” BOE Chair Kim Argo said. “With 90 percent of the budget dedicated to salaries and benefits as well as the extension of steps to reward longevity, we are ensuring that our teachers and support staff are well-compensated and supported, which is crucial for maintaining the high standard of education in our district.”


Key portions of the budget are:


• Four percent salary improvements for all staff ($3,297,000)

• Salary steps creation for years 22 through 30 ($2,187,705)

• Health insurance employer contribution increase ($2,232,170)

• Nineteen new positions ($1,077,328)

• New curriculum ($340,587)

• Teacher Retirement System employer contribution increase ($470,000)

• One-time custodians supplement ($47,367)


“This budget demonstrates our continued dedication to enhancing the quality of education in Oconee County,” Superintendent Jason Branch said. “By providing significant salary improvements, increasing contributions to health insurance and retirement systems, and introducing new positions and curriculum, we are laying a strong foundation for the future success of our students and staff. I am confident that these investments will yield tremendous benefits for our entire community.”


Also at Monday’s Board of Education meeting:


• The Board approved the following projects: the North Oconee High weight room flooring replacement; a new Warrior Stadium sound system; an OCS custodial support program; and removal and disposal of the School Street trailers.


• Students and teachers from Oconee County High, Malcom Bridge Middle, and Dove Creek Middle were recognized for state and national accomplishments.


• Teaching and Learning, Business Services, Human Resources, Technology, Operations, Student Services, and Communications delivered divisional reports.


• Rocky Branch Elementary presented its Points of Pride and provided the hallway artwork display.


• The Board approved field trips for the Oconee County Middle FBLA team and the Oconee County High cross country squad.


• The Board approved the meeting dates and the norms and protocols for 2024-25.


• The Board placed on the table for public review and comment until its next meeting the following policies: GARH: Employee Leaves and Absences; JGCD: Medication; and DIB: Financial Reports.


• Two citizens addressed the Board during the Public Communication portion.


To view Monday’s Board meeting, please click here.