OCS ranked #1 county system in GA
Oconee County Schools has been ranked the #1 county school system in Georgia following the release of 2018 Milestones End of Grade and End of Course assessment data. On each assessment, OCS had an average well above that of the state of Georgia.
“I congratulate our community of learners on this impressive accomplishment,” said Superintendent Jason Branch. “These results reflect the high levels of student engagement and educational excellence that has become the standard in Oconee County Schools. In addition to the hard work of our students and world-class teachers, I want to thank our Board of Education, district and school leaders, support staff, and our most important partners – our parents – for all they do to support our system.”
Georgia law requires a comprehensive summative assessment program in grades 3-12, including End of Grade assessments in English/Language Arts and Math for grades 3-8 and End of Course assessments in designated core subjects for grades 9-12. Utilizing this 2018 data, School Digger has released its new rankings, with Oconee County Schools ranked #1 for all county systems in the state.
Some of the highlights from the data released from the Georgia Department of Education are below:
- OCS was in the top 10 in the state on 22/23 assessments.
- OCS was in the top 5 in the state on 17/23 assessments.
- In OCS, over 80% of students are reading on grade level in grades 3-9, with over 90% of students reading on grade level in grades 5, 8, and 9.
- OCS was the #1 district in the state on the following assessments: 5th grade English/Language Arts and American Literature.
- OCS was the #2 district in the state on the following assessments: 4th grade Math, U.S. History, and Economics.
- OCS was the #3 district in the state on the following assessments: 4th grade English/Language Arts, 5th grade Math, 5th grade Social Studies, and 6th grade English/Language Arts.
- Of the 23 assessments given, the overall OCS average was the same or higher in 2018 than in 2017 on the majority of the assessments.
To see the complete data, with OCS 2016, 2017, and 2018 data, Georgia 2018 data, and the OCS ranking out of all districts in the state, please visit www.oconeeschools.org/Milestones2018. OCS operates on a block system, and so its results are for the entire school year.
To see Georgia school district rankings with the inclusion of 2018 Milestones data, please visit www.schooldigger.com.